Saturday, September 8, 2018

Gumball Seasons Review


Hello, everyone! I did announced on Twitter that I won't be able to make video due to a possible cold. So, I will make up for it with me reviewing the six seasons of The Amazing World of Gumball! Of course, this is my opinion so don't read after the break if you don't like opinions.

Season 1

I will tell you this; I have started watching Gumball from the very beginning! (Minus the pilot because it wasn't uploaded to YouTube before the series started.) So, I have know much about this season than almost every other fan of Gumball! During the commercials in 2011, I saw a promo for this show as new back then. I thought the promo was funny so I did watched the first two episodes and continue watching up to this point. I seems that Season 1 nowadays are underrated because fans who like the later seasons desired this season, so much that they now tell any newcomer to skip it all together. However, Season 1 is decent in my opinion. While the continuity from this season is not existence in later seasons, the comedy ages very well! Do I have to mention that there's a couple of relatable lessons in this season that has yet to improve from later seasons? Like how The Quest shows how you have move on to better things than to staying at your life right now. Since this is the first season, it isn't perfect with average episodes. Richard, despite being the dumb one, didn't do well in his episodes like The Laziest and The Prank for example. Other than that, the main characters (The Wattersons) did their job right to be what they're meant to do. It's ashamed that people skipped the hidden gems of Season 1 and go on to the next season instead. 

Season Rating: 6/10 (Decent)


Season 2

Since Season 1 gone on to the right track, let's see if Season 2 improves from it. Spoiler alert, it's horrible! Why? Well, Season 2 of Gumball is overrated! Like fans only skipped Season 1 because it's not like the later seasons?! I think this season doesn't deserve that much attention. The first half looks like it would became good later on, but no, the second half ruins that thought. One of my big complains about this season is that the crew made Gumball mean too much while the show is about him! Maybe, this is why most of the Season 2 episodes are meh or okay. Anger aside, this season introduces new designs where it's more clean to see the outlines of character and the shadow is now clean instead of black lines. This change is mainly because the crew has to switch animation studios due to Cartoon Network cutting support for the previous studio. I'm fine with this change because the design looks better compared to Season 1. This season also have some good heartwarming episodes like The Hero (Unpopular Opinion) and The Treasure. Darwin's personality did improves from being just a goldfish to being honest. As the season is finishing up, the episodes is getting good until The Finale happened. That episode is another reason why Season 2 is my least favorite season because it ruins this season as well as Season 1! I will redirect you to my review of The Finale because I really can't be mad right now. Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UN_c-KlorWw
Anyways, I can't stand this show anymore because of this season however, I wanted to see if the next season is good enough for me to continue watching. 

Season Rating: 3.5/10 (Strong Bad, Unpopular Opinion)


Season 3

After The Finale, I thought it was the end of Gumball until I see that Season 3 got announced so I watched the season to see if it's good. At first, it was a lost cause until the second half where it improves! Episodes has became interesting with plots like The Void and The Oracle for example. While the redesigns are small, it introduces new characters that are interesting like Claire for example. Gumball has calm down after The Kids because he's no longer mean. Season 3 seems to change the status quo for this show because it's no longer an average comedy show. It's like this season did their experiment episodes right! Maybe, this show is Amazing after all and I am so glad that I didn't stop watching the show after Season 2!

Season Rating: 8/10 (Great)


Season 4

Now, I going to talk about my favorite season of Gumball, Season 4! Like Season 3, the episode still continue to be interesting and with episodes like The Origins and The Love, this season is special! Both of the two-parter episodes did use their extra time very well! This season continues to be good until we get to the last episodes where the quality decreases. The episode plots suddenly became weak like how The Roots plot about The Wattersons trying their best to keep Darwin happy for example. However, it didn't effect this season too much though since it's at the second half. Overall, Season 4 is my favorite season as well as the tripping point.

Season Rating: 8.5/10 (Strong Great, Favorite Season)


Season 5

Welcome to Season 5 where shows goes downhill from there. Sadly, Gumball is one of those with most of it's episodes being decent or average. However, this season still being good with episodes like The Choices and The News for example. Season 5 also the first season where fan stuffs gets reference in the episode, The Matchmaker, where Gumball and Carrie needs to help Darwin find his girlfriend. Despite the quality decreasing, I found no bad episodes in this season surprisingly! It seems that the crew are trying staying away from making big mistakes in the Season 5 episodes. Anyways, this season is still good but not like Season 3 and 4. 

Season Rating: 7.5/10 (Strong Good)


Season 6

Season 6 of Gumball has yet to be finished, however I wanted to do a review of it so far. Season 6 seems to be a controversial season because of some of the episode either being political (The Understanding) or just fan service (The Shippening). There are a couple reasons why people are splited about Season 6 from having an "out of character" opening to straight up mentioning the 2016 Presidential Election. Right now, I am mixed in this season because some episodes are good but at the same time, some episodes are so bad that it will show up when I remaking my Top 10 Worst Gumball Episodes list. There's disappointing episodes like The Transformation when I thought that Penny's family will reveal their true selves but what it got was the colors of them instead. People have also complained about Darwin's personality being flanderized, and to that I have to agree because he seems to be "out of character" in The Sucker where he wasn't helping the Bomb Guy (which I can't remember this name right now). So, I hoped this season gets better in the second half so that I could say goodbye to this season. (as well as the whole season if it's the last season)

Season Rating: 4.5/10 (Strong Meh So Far)



Anyways, I hoped you have good day and I will see you later!

Seasons from Best to Worst

  • Season 4
  • Season 3
  • Season 5
  • Season 1
  • Season 6 (So Far)
  • Season 2

No comments:

Post a Comment